PUEBLO, (July 24, 2015)
– United Launch Alliance (ULA), the nation’s premier launch service provider, has announced the company will locate a propulsion testing and manufacturing operation in Pueblo, CO. ULA was formed in 2006 in order to provide the most reliable, safe and cost-efficient access to space. ULA rockets have successfully delivered more than 95 satellites to orbit that provide critical capabilities for troops in the field, aid meteorologists in tracking severe weather, enable personal device-based GPS navigation and unlock the mysteries of our solar system.
ULA made the announcement at 4:00 p.m. on Friday, July 24, 2015. Details of the project include:
- Approximately $5 million in capital investment
- 34 new full-time jobs to be in place by October 1, 2017
- $2 million from the City of Pueblo’s half cent fund for economic development (contingent on approval from the Pueblo City Council)
- A 50% credit for personal property tax from the County of Pueblo (contingent on approval from Pueblo County Commissioners)
- Additional incentives from the State Enterprise Zone program, administered by the County of Pueblo
- Extensive collaboration and support from PuebloPlex
The propulsion testing and manufacturing operation will support the Vulcan rocket, ULA’s next generation launch vehicle, as well as ULA’s current rockets, the Atlas V and Delta IV. With the Vulcan, ULA is transforming the future of space launch — making it more affordable, accessible, and commercialized — and innovating to develop solutions to the nation’s most critical need: reliable access to space.
“ULA is pleased to partner once again with Pueblo,” said Bob Roberts, ULA director of propulsion systems. “We thank both the city and county for the collaboration, as well as the strong partnership we have enjoyed in the past and look forward to building on that with the new work we are bringing to the area.”
“Pueblo is thrilled to be selected as the location for this exciting space initiative,” said Jack Rink, President and CEO of PEDCO. “This is yet another example of how PEDCO and our partners collaborate to bring great jobs and economic opportunity to the community. The investment from the City of Pueblo’s half cent sales tax fund and the County of Pueblo’s tax abatement were essential components in securing this project that has national implications.”
The Pueblo Economic Development Corporation (PEDCO) is a member supported, non-profit organization dedicated to the promotion of the Pueblo area to businesses and industries considering expansion or relocation. PEDCO works with city, county, state and community organizations to coordinate available resources for economic development.
With more than a century of combined heritage, United Launch Alliance is the nation’s most experienced and reliable launch service provider. ULA has successfully delivered more than 90 satellites to orbit that provide critical capabilities for troops in the field, aid meteorologists in tracking severe weather, enable personal device-based GPS navigation and unlock the mysteries of our solar system.
For more information on ULA, visit the ULA website at www.ulalaunch.com, or call the ULA Launch Hotline at 1-877-ULA-4321 (852-4321). Join the conversation at www.facebook.com/ulalaunch, twitter.com/ulalaunch and instagram.com/ulalaunch.